Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Northern Paradise


In the commonwealth of Kentucky. Just in time for mud season!

Before I headed home I learned that Interstate 40 was closed due to rockslides which apparently had happened right after I passed through on the way south. I broke out the atlas to explore other routes.

The official detour went from Asheville, NC to Bristol, Tn. then into Knoxville. Curvy mountain roads and an additional 100 miles or so. The Atlanta, Chattanooga route made more sense to me.

Due to my spot-on planning, I hit Atlanta at precisely noon. Considering that I live in an area where 4 cars in a row is heavy congestion, I was out of my element. Add the 2 dogs, 2 angry cats, and enough 'stuff' that my rear window was covered and you can understand why I was just a tad on edge. Apparently the critters could sense my tension because, for the first time on the trip, everyone sat quietly.

Except for me. I kept a constant commentary running about all the horrible drivers on the road. It's just a darn good thing that I am so perfect at it. Driving that is. And constructive comments.

The caravan survived. We hit Casey County, where 37 degree temps awaited us. Who made that legal?

So the critters and I are home for a while. After all, we have to get all of our Christmas lights and decorations up before the Cutest Toddler in the World gets here!

2 comments:

Tony said...

Having just moved to Casey county from Atlanta, I really appreciate your thoughts on Atlanta vs. Casey traffic! Glad you got back safely.

Misfit in Paradise said...

Thank you. And welcome to Casey County!