Sunday, January 11, 2009

It's Review Time

Oh, I have been busy, busy, busy! I watched 2 movies and finished (finally!) the book I was reading. Now I'm sure you all are just dying to get my take on those things, so here we go;

I listen to a ton of conservative talk radio (No! Don't leave yet! I am still a Democrat!). Many times those shows deal with illegal immigration. You know, how illegals break the law the very first thing, we need to build a wall, etc. It is pretty easy to get caught up in those beliefs. Which is why I needed to see this movie. To refresh my perspective, to look from a different angle. And maybe, to make me cry a little bit.



Watch this movie. Even if the immigrant story does not move you, the drumming will. So good.

The book I finished? It is an older Dean Koontz, False Memory. The book took awhile to get going (okay, she is afraid of everything. I GET IT! Move on!) but when it finally achieved its momentum, it was worth the wait. The dialogue was not his wittiest but the twists, spirals, and g-force curves, made up for it. Kind of an updated Manchurian Candidate. That should pique your interest.

My daughter and I disagreed on this movie. She was annoyed that it wasn't exactly like the book but it had been so long since I read the book that it was like being exposed for the very first time. I think it is a very enjoyable young adult adventure/fable. Armored bears, daemons, and (drum roll please) Sam Elliot! It is always a treat to get to see (and hear) him.



All in all, a very nice way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon. If you disagree with my assessments, please, let me know.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Ooh, I liked both of those movie previews very much! Thanks! I always see movies WAY late (unless it was a Harry Potter or a Star Wars).. I'm so lame. But I love good movies, thanks for the suggestion! False Memory looks like a good summer reader for me.

Have you seen "Pan's Labyrinth?" It came out a few years ago but I watched that this past fall and I see some similarities with "The Golden Compass." I loved it, you might, too.

Misfit in Paradise said...

I have "Pan's Labyrinth" at home. I started to watch it one day and didn't get a chance to finish. I will do that when I get back to the bluegrass state.