Thursday, August 21, 2008

Onward, to Chicago




I boarded the train in Maysville, Ky at 1:00am. The conductor asked how many were traveling together (1) and where I would be getting off. He pointed me toward a car and told me to "find yourself a friend".

I found a seat that was by the window and empty. After I was settled in, the conductor brought someone to take the outside seat. My seatmate was going to Indy which meant he would be there for 4 hours or so.

I tried to fall asleep but I was so excited about finally beginning my voyage. Of course, the more excited I was, the more I had to use the restroom. Which meant rousing my seatmate. Poor guy.

After he disembarked, I stretched out on the 2 seats and fell asleep. Or tried to. It seems that the train must blow its whistle at every intersection. And there are a TON of intersections on the way to the Windy City.

The dining car opened at 6 am. By that point I was ready for some coffee. One thing Amtrak does very well is coffee. What a great thing to discover!

After a couple cups of joe, it was back to my seat for the final leg into the city. We were running 2 hours late so I had some concerns about making my connection. The conductor assured me it would be no problem.


As the train pulled into Union Station, it passed the home of the White Sox (for any baseball fans) and the Sear's Tower. Then it was into the dungeons of the station.

No comments: