Saturday, August 30, 2008

Grand Junction to Montrose


I left the vehicles in this picture to give a sense of scale to the ridges we were passing.

It was great to see the Bass Man and my daughter. It had been 4 months since I had seen them in person. Web cams don't really count! We hugged and kissed and climbed into the truck for the trip to Montrose.




Many of the businesses, ranches, homes, trailer parks, empty driveways, etc. have huge gates in front of their places, It is almost as if they are engaged in a competition. I was ready to go home and put one at the end of my driveway except I have 2 driveways and a barn entrance which would mean 3 large gates. And that might be considered absurd. I am way too conservative to ever want to be considered absurd (did I mention I recently had bright blue hair?).

But back to the description of the city. Montrose has a population of approximately 30,000. There is a small airport not far from the downtown. Lots of single family dwellings. Three zillion churches. Several schools. A standard 'Miracle Mile' leading to Walmart and Target. Just another typical small town. Set in a basin in the glorious Rockies. Grandeur all around. I had the feeling I was going to have a great week.

No comments: