Thursday, June 12, 2008

LOL?

I went to see Shinedown last night in Louisville. I took a young acquaintance (20) with me for some company on the drive to and fro. Silly me.

We talked a bit when we first left our town but he was soon receiving text messages. Lots of them. The good news was that at least I could listen to my CD's while he was doing that.

When we got to the big city we decided to go to dinner first. More text messaging. Dinner conversation was minimal.

Standing in line for the show, texting. Finally inside the venue for his very first rock concert. He listened to the first few songs of the local band that was playing and then jumped back onto the phone keyboard.

Next band, same thing. When Shinedown finally ascended the stage he actually put his phone in his pocket! For approximately 4 songs. Sigh.

By 11 pm the show was over and it was time for the 2 hour drive back home. We talked about how we had enjoyed the show, some of the crazies that are always in attendance at every show, and how he would like to do it again sometime. Of course by then his little phone was buzzing itself to death since it had been at least 15 minutes between messages.

Okay, I kind of get it. I am an older generation that didn't grow up with this technology. Sure he was missing out on an experience so he could talk to friends he saw every day but hey, his choice.

However, now comes the part I find so totally bizarre. He began fighting with his girlfriend. Text-style. Fingers flying, he got more and more agitated. So agitated that he actually called her! To ask her if she still wanted to talk. Apparently she said yes because he told her to hang up in that case and they would go back to texting.

Unbelievable. A society that is incapable of conversing. Am I the only one who finds this sad?

No comments: