Friday, April 4, 2008

Really? For Ice Cream?

My husband and I went out for ice cream the other night. It was a place that has a very cold stone (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) that they can mix combinations on. I had never been there but I found the prospect intriguing.

Truth be told, I am not that much of an ice cream fan. It’s okay but not something I would go out of the way for. However, this place has so much hoopla surrounding it I felt I had to try it.

All day I was trying to figure out the perfect combination. Should I start with vanilla or chocolate? Nuts or not? How about some fruit for a bit different taste? Oh the possibilities!

When we got there, I had to study the menu. Okay, it had some offerings but nothing like I expected. Maybe a dozen bases and lots of candy type mix ins. What about fruit? How could I have my chocolate-almond-maraschino cherry- toasted coconut?

The answer of course, was that I couldn’t. I could have chocolate but no cherries (they had cherry pie filling but, really, who would eat that?). Coconut but not toasted. Sigh.

I settled for chocolate-coconut-pecan. The girl who was working put the chocolate on the stone, tossed the add-ins on top, and gave it two smooshes to mix it together (a $.69 fee for that). Hunh. This is what they are famous for?

She put the ONE SCOOP into a waffle cone (another $.69 fee) then handed it over. All this great stuff for a measly $5.09. For a one scoop ice cream cone! Amazing.

Well, now I can say that I have been there. I can also say that it is a very high probability that I won’t ever go there again. I think my soft, cold, sweet summer treat needs will be satisfied with $1.50 cones from convenience stores and ice cream stands

No comments: